Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pre and Post Birthday Hooplas

The weekend before Ernie's birthday we had a movie party at my mom's house. My dad has a projector and a huge screen that he puts up in the back yard for movie nights about once  month in the summer. We all love it.  It is like a drive in in your own back yard!  Ernie really wanted to have one at their house for his b-day and watch National Treasure.  
They were so sweet to make him his requested birthday dinner before the movie.  Steak, bake potatoes, and asparagus. 
I tried to get some pictures, but not one turned out! Oh, well, I at least have a few to remember......

Caleb was the worst!

He also wanted me to make him a banana cake, and at least I got a couple of cute pics then. 




Before our movie, we had an impromptu dance party.  I wish I had been able to get some good pictures of that.  They boys were hilarious.  And so were my parents! And Micah I think had some of the best moves of us all! 
Here is a picture of Caleb and Micah.  If you look closely, you can completely tell it's them :). 


It was a blast! 
Ernie loves movie nights so much, that for his birthday with friends, he wanted to borrow Grandpa's movie gear and have a movie party in our back yard.  We have a friend party on all of their even b-day's.  The kids were at that silly, crazy boy phase for the last few years and have been avoiding having the friend parties at my own house as to maintain my sanity somewhat.   (It's so much nicer to leave a mess somewhere else!) This year I could not talk Ernie out of wanting to do this movie night.  He was SO excited.  
And an amazing thing happened that night.  I realized how grown up he is now! I LIKE having his friends hang out! They are fun, and past the silly, let's make the biggest mess we possibly can phase! More on that in a bit.......
A couple of weekends after his birthday (Labor Day was the weekend after, and I will post about that later!) we had his ever exciting every-other year friend celebration.
Here is the b-day boy and some of his decorations. 



Some of the kiddos eating pizza. 


His Aunt Layne made him a fabulous movie "take one" cake. 



He wanted to keep it small because he felt like it would be more fun and they would actually be able to enjoy each other.  He has a couple of friends that are girls that he enjoys hanging out with and so I suggested that he invite them.  His response....well, I couldn't even make it up if I tried. "Mom, we are only ten.  I think inviting girls to a party is for when we are older and a little more mature." (More mature than that? Really?)




We found a really fun little candy store called "Rocket Fizz" that had a bunch of old fashioned pop and candy.  The boys definitely were able to get their fill of sugar!






I realized a few things that night.  I am so grateful that Ernie has so many fun friends his age.  They really were a FUN group of boys.  Their conversations were so hilarious to listen to. They were SO kind to the little brother.  And they were kind to each other and just plain had a great time.  I think I had as much fun as they did!



1 comment:

  1. So much fun and what a great idea to do a friends party every other year!

    ReplyDelete