Friday, August 21, 2009

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW ERA


The first day of school. It's a big day in our house. New clothes that have been purchased (a lot of white polo shirts and khaki shorts this year) can finally have their tags taken off and be worn. The new back packs can finally be loaded with the school supplies that have been taunting my older son for a while now. Ernie has just been itching to have homework again. Caleb is just excited to "make friends, paint, and play".

The day finally arrived. Their favorite snacks and homemade cookies were packed in their lunch box. And they were both extremely energized about bringing their water bottles that had their name on them with sharpie (apparently that made them extremely special). And I was happy for them. Excited that they both can start this new venture. (And yes, that is Caleb's Indiana Jones shirt. Somehow the vehicle made it so. And while laying it out to wear the night before, he was humming the song while staring at his new shirt longingly.)






However, this day was the beginning of a new era of my life, a new phase, a whole different routine. Both my children are now in school; well, at least on Tuesday and Thursday morning from 8:30 to 12. So, I know it's not that big of a deal, a few hours a couple of times a weeek, but I was still a little overwhelmed by it. It has been a very long time since I have been home by myself. (And well frankly I was a little concerned, there is no Costco OR Target here, so how was going to spend my newly allotted time?) And then of course I got very nostalgic. I can not believe how time has flown by, and yes I did get a little teary eyed. I didn't bawl (I will save that for next year, when he starts kindergarten) but it was still a little sad. My fun, activity filled days with boys are gone until the summer, and now I have zero excuses for not cleaning my room, or having the ironing done.

6 comments:

  1. Annie loves the pics! She misses Caleb! Soundsl like you have been having a fun summer, I can't imagine Disneyland with no princess photos! (Micah always wants Belle's autograph!) Do we get to see you over Labor Day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What will you do with yourself? I have to say I am a little bit jealous. I am going to be down to 1 kid for a few hours each week. That seems like something crazy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, does he just like white polos and khakis or is it a uniform? You never know with Ernie! We miss you guys. If it makes you feel any better I have both my boys all day long.... I would love a trip to Costco or Target by myself...or even the bathroom! You could always start a cool new hobby. I have some great ideas for you that I would love to be able to take on right now!! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Ernie all too well. It is a uniform, but I would not be at all sruprised if he requested such a wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, we are in that same boat this year. School and preschool. What are you going to do with all this extra time on your hands? And why aren't we neighbors?? See you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such cute, cute pictures! I love your blog....Help me set one up and I will get rolling with it...

    ReplyDelete