Monday, July 18, 2011

As American as Apple Pie

I love the Fourth of July.  I always have.  There is something that feels so wonderful about eating watermelon,  barbecuing, and staying up late into the night watching fireworks go off in the sky as you hear some country rendition of "I'm Proud to Be An American". We always wear patriotic outfits (No, not hand knitted flag vests or beaded American flag broaches) of red white and blue of some sort. (And luckily my children and husband don't even question.  They just go with my American spirit and adhere to my request.)  

We have been fortunate enough to go to Ernie's Grandma's house for quite a few of the 4th of July holidays since we have been married.  It is the picture perfect celebration.  As I see the American Flag kite flying high in the sky as we pull in along their drive, and then pull up to multiple pathways everywhere lined with American Flags, I can't help but feel patriotic.  
It's a full day event.  And this year did not disappoint. 
We started with strawberry waffles for breakfast.
We swam.

(That is Ernie way back there.  He was very proud that he was climbing the high wall.)

We played on the water slide

 (The above picture, I'm afraid, is the closest I have of the two of them together.  I was lucky to even get this.)



We played kickball. 


Well, some of us watched and cheered.

We talked and laughed.  For hours. 



And some of us even snuck in a little bit of a nap.

Grandpa let the younger kids light some smaller fireworks off in the front.  Yes, he let THEM light them.  I tried to close my eyes :). 


We ate prime rib, potato salad and had watermelon, of course. 
We celebrated Grandma's birthday. 











We had delicious shakes made by Uncle Jeff.












We ate festive cupcakes. 

And then we got ready for Grandpa's fireworks show.

We started with (the world's longest, I am sure) sparklers.



And got our glow sticks ready.

 If you look carefully in this poor quality picture above, you can see part of the family.
 And in this equally as poor of quality above is more of the family waiting for the big show.

Caleb loves hanging out with Zack:

 Ernie has always loved the cousins in this age group, and luckily has gotten past the endearing nickname of "Poopy" for one of them :)

Of course, my boys found the Rose kids and Caleb stuck to Heather like glue.
 Caleb was curled up on Heather's lap the whole time, and it was adorable.

Here is a little example of the fireworks show put on by Grandpa.
It was awesome.  (And completely legal :)
And I did get at least one picture of Ernie that night. He was there.  He was in the pool during the sparklers.

What great memories.  Especially for my kids.  I am so grateful we had the opportunity to go.
I am grateful to live in this great country.  I am grateful for the freedoms we have.  I am grateful that we have family that we love to be around.
And how can you help but feel as American as apple pie on a day like that?  


1 comment:

  1. What an awesome celebration!! Looks like you all had a great day! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete