Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Faith In a Seed

Caleb was eating an apple a few days ago.  When he got to the seed, I could tell he was analyzing it carefully.
  
A few minutes later he came traipsing through the house with a shovel in tow and gloves on.  I asked what he was doing and he replied, "Mom, did you know that an apple seed can grown into an apple tree?" I responded that I did, and asked, "what are you doing with the shovel?" He then said, "Well mom, I am going to plant it so I can have an apple tree", and he then proceeded to plant it in the bak yard. 

The next morning, I heard little footsteps at 5:10 am.  I love those pitter patter steps, however they were not as sweet sounding when they wake you up an hour early form your precious sleep. I asked him to come in my room and informed him that it was too early and that he needed to lay down for a while longer. I noticed he had something with him, and assumed it was one of his stuffed animals.  After another hour of him kicking my back, stroking my hair, and bouncing his feet impatiently, I finally sat up to talk to him.  I spoke to him about how important it is to get enough sleep, especially when you are a growing boy.  He thought about that for a minute and then said in the sweetest voice that I wish I could keep forever, "Mom, can I start that tomorrow?"  Holding back laughter, I told him I supposed that would have to do, since it was apparent he was not going to be going back to sleep that morning. 
I then thought to finally ask why he was so excited to get up.  He pulled out what I assumed was his stuffed animal from under the sheets, and I realized it was a water bottle. 
"I need to water my apple tree!"

Later that night as we were driving down the street, I noticed him staring longingly out the window quietly. A few minutes later he said, "I bet it's growing roots right now." 
Oh, I know, sweetest boy ever! 

1 comment: