Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Precious Moments of Life

It is the end of the day.  The close of an evening, and I am more grateful than usual for the sweet sound of quite.

 We did something very brave tonight.  We decided that we  had gotten way to lax with our children.  This began after I picked up Caleb from a friends house yesterday and she informed me that Caleb didn't eat any lunch because he said,  and I quote, "um, I just don't like that kind of macaroni and cheese".

Hmmmm, yep we have officially become the lazy parents, the ones I used to watch as their children threw hysterical fits if they didn't get McDonald's chicken nuggets and nothing else and swore I would never be like.  Yes, the ones that have somehow allowed their children to become picky eaters.  It snuck up on us so fast.  We thought because they would eat broccoli and asparagus that we were all right.  And all of a sudden my child will only eat a certain brand of macaroni and cheese.

Tonight was the night.  They now have to eat their entire plate of food, which is not entirely new.  The kicker is that their plate contained 'grown up food'. Yes, like pasta salad and cucumber dip.  No more playing to their likes and dislikes.

Total success.  (No sarcasm hinted there whatsoever)

Ernie, after about 30-40 min of complaining incessantly finally at least had a bite of everything.

Caleb cried the entire rest of the evening.  I mean bawled.  Screamed about how we hated him because I made food that looked gross.  Cried that we just didn't love him and we didn't want him to have anything to eat.  Insisted that it wasn't his fault that we only make 'stupid food'. (And, yes, I will admit that we did find some of the fit rather amusing.)

About 2 1/2 hrs later he was finally aloud to leave the kitchen to get in the bath.  As I was getting him ready for bed this is what he said,
"Mom, I'm really hungry (with a huge Caleb style grin).  Do we have anything to eat?"

We really got to him, didn't we?

6 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like an eventful evening. I do have to say I am glad I missed caleb's 2 1/2 hour cry session :) Good luck with the new eating all the food off the plate

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha.... oh my gosh, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Don't you just love those fits? Wish I could have been there. Wait, I was. Just in my house. :-) Way to go, you GREAT parents, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and your response should have been "why yes son we do" and taken him back to the kitchen and given him his dinner plate. I know where you are coming from we have been there and it is not pretty. Remember I have the kid who doesn't like cheese although suddenly he takes Nachos every Friday for hot lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oohhh wait my other favorite was the night they all got oatmeal and 3 of 4 hate oatmeal....I told them the law says I have to feed you..it doesn't have to be something you like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A food meltdown. You gotta love it. Don't get discouraged. Luke constantly tells people that there is NO FOOD at our house. He tells them that because there is no McDonalds, no Pizza Hut, no soda pop, no Taco Bell leftovers at our house.

    Jesse, who moved out, and moved back in, just rolls his eyes and tells Luke, "you don't know how good you have it. Mom cooks food that is good and good for us." (Jesse ate out most of the year he was moved out and got pretty sick from it, as you can imagine.)

    So hang in there.. they will appreciate you some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do that also. They have to eat everything on there plate, or at least 80% of it!! My youngest used to be the best eater and now is the worst. It's a not so fun game!! Feeding the kids that is!! :)

    ReplyDelete