Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Love of a Love Holiday

Valentines Day, what's the point, right? You have all heard the whole, "you shouldn't have to have a special day to treat someone the way you always should."   Well, I have never been a gushy mushy gooey person.

Ah, what the heck, you have read my posts before and know that I am very sentimental and I can't even pretend to not be.  I totally LOVE Valentines Day.  It is so much fun.  A whole day to think of more ways you can show people around you that you think they're pretty great. 
When did I start this love of a love holiday? Well, it was actually in High School.  First thought is, "Some great romantic story about a boyfriend doing something increadable", right?  Nope, just a best friend.  A great friend who decided that it would be fun to buy me flowers.  It was the first time that I realized that it was more than a boyfriend/husband holiday. And so she and I would buy each other flowers every year.  I LOVED it!

I'm not the most talented or organized person in the world, but I try to make it a special day. In years past I would do the 12 days of Valentines for Ernie, and it was so much fun! (Especially when he was a teacher, because his students would really get into it, and thought it was so adorable when a bouquet of balloons, ect would show up at school.)  For the past few years around the 10th or so I remember how cute I used to be. Therefore,  it's usually not as elaborate, but I still try to make it fun.

This year,  I used my fancy stuff for dinner (china and nice silver wear and goblets ).  I can't  tell you how special the kids felt! It was so cute.  I don't hink they have ever drank that much water because they thought the glasses were so cool. We made sugar cookies and cards for friends.  And the kids thanked us all day long for the books we got them. (Well, mostly Ernie, and when Caleb would overhear him, he would chime in as well :)

I hope you had a fabulous day as well, and that you were able to feel loved and to make the special people around you feel  loved. 

And yes, I am grateful for a 'hallmark' holiday.  No, I don't NEED to feel more loved than I do every other day, but it sure is fun!
 Plus, my boys said that one day a year pink would be their favorite color. Tooo bad they didn't let me know before the end of the day, because I could have done a lot with that one.

1 comment:

  1. Bailey you are such a great mom. Love hearing about all the fun things you do for your family.

    ReplyDelete